Summer Pests: Mosquitos, Bats, & Stinging Insects
Mosquitoes are extremely bad this year – with the late snow and quick melts in the U.P., we have endured a lot of pests this season. The dampness contributes to more habitats for mosquito larvae, which can only survive in still water. The best way to prevent mosquito-borne illnesses is to keep larvae from maturing to adulthood. Although it’s impossible to eradicate every mosquito – our method to control and knock down these populations includes applying a pesticide application to underbrush, foliage, grass, and low-lying trees to kill mosquitoes (including their eggs and larva) and deter them from landing on these areas.
For maximum effectiveness, it’s best to start early in the summer – and reapply as needed throughout the season. Heavy precipitation may require the reapplication of insecticide.
Protect yourself by:
- Wearing long sleeves and pants, and keep in mind they are most active at dawn and dusk.
- Use repellants when traveling in the woods or damp locations.
- Remove all standing water (flowerpots, buckets, birdbaths, gutters, etc.)
- Keep your grass cut short.
- Plant flowers and herbs such as lemongrass, marigolds, garlic, lavender, rosemary, basil, mint, sage, catnip, bee balm, and scented geraniums.
- Contact Northern Pest to schedule a mosquito treatment.
The bat populations are thankfully regrowing, and they now seek colder habitats to live in, such as northern Michigan. While some may fear bats, they are a welcome exterminator of mosquitoes and other pesky insects that damage crops. Fewer mosquitoes also mean fewer people are at risk of contracting mosquito-borne illnesses such as encephalitis, Zika virus, histoplasmosis, or heartworm in pets.
Protect bats by:
- Leaving them alone.
- Avoiding places where they hibernate.
- If a bat is in your home, don’t kill it. Give it an exit strategy by opening doors and windows.
- Forcing a young bat family from your attic during the birth/nursing period can kill baby bats. Wait them out until the young are old enough to feed themselves.
- If you are unsure what to do, contact Northern Pest for assistance.
Insects that sting, including hornets, wasps, and yellowjackets, are currently active and focused on expanding their colonies and hives. Yellowjackets like to build their nests underground and within walls of buildings, while hornets and wasps usually stick to bushes, trees, and structures like our attics. Their pursuit for food and nest-building, coupled with their aggressive nature, can make them a source of fear for those nearby due to the potential for severe allergic reactions to their venomous stings. Therefore, when these insects set up their hive in locations frequently visited by people, such as entrances, playgrounds, or alongside residential siding, it raises significant safety concerns.
The most serious reaction to an insect sting is an allergic one. If you spot a nest or the presence of multiple stinging insects, contact Northern Pest to remove and eliminate dangerous hives from your home or property.
Protect yourself and others, seek treatment if:
- Hives, itching, and swelling appear in areas other than the sting site.
- Abdominal cramping, vomiting, intense nausea, or diarrhea occurs.
- Experience any tightness in the chest and have difficulty breathing.
- Have a hoarse voice or swelling of the tongue or throat, or difficulty swallowing.
- Dizziness or a sharp drop in blood pressure occurs.
- Loss of consciousness or cardiac arrest.
Northern Pest is fully licensed and insured, and we look forward to serving you!
From Home, the Lake, Camp, or Your Business –Northern Pest Has You Covered!
Our Family Serving Yours
Northern Pest blends both the pest control and wildlife control industries to provide effective holistic service to our customers. In addition to insect and animal control, Northern Pest is an experienced licensed builder. We offer cleanup, restoration, insulation, and general repairs related to the pest and wildlife industry. We are here to handle pest problems, start to finish. Our no-contract service ensures that you are provided prompt and affordable service.